Emergency Financial Assistance and Financial Support to Vermont Veterans and Their Families

Who Should I Contact First if I’m Having Trouble Making Ends Meet?

Veterans and their families who are having a hard time with basic life necessities such as food, shelter, utilities, etc., should contact Vermont 211. This program has an inventory of all the federal, state, and local resources available to Vermonters. This includes local food shelves, state assistance programs, local private organizations, etc. They are available 24 hours a day, every day. Just dial 2-1-1 from any phone in Vermont to get connected.

Vermont 211     211

Who Should I Contact Next?

After 211, veterans should visit their local Agency of Human Services’ Economic Services Division. The folks in this division administer programs that can provide emergency funds, food, and heating assistance. They are an especially important contact for families with children. We recommend you follow the link below to find the local office that is closest to you.

Economic Services Division Local Offices

Economic Services Division General Information Line     (800) 287-0589

Home Heating Fuel Assistance     (800) 479-6151

Is There a Financial Assistance Program Specifically for Veterans?

Yes. The Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs administers the Vermont Veteran Assistance Fund. This program can provide a one-time payment to Vermont veterans or their families who are in a financial crisis and need help paying for a critical need, such as housing and utilities. The amount of assistance provided is up to $200. Applications are done over the phone and takes about 10 minutes to complete.  Vermont residency is required.

Office of Veterans Affairs Toll Free (for in State)     (888) 666-9844

Office of Veterans Affairs Direct Dial     (802) 828-3379

Are There Financial Assistance Programs for Military Families?

Yes. The Vermont National Guard’s family support section administers several funds to help families who are in financial hardship, especially families in financial hardship because of a deployment. Their programs are not limited to only the guard, as they assist active duty and reserve families as well.

Vermont National Guard Family Support     (888) 607-8773

Do Private Organizations Provide Financial Assistance?

Yes. Below are some resources from private organizations that are available to help veterans and their families.

Friends of Veterans

Friends of Veterans provides veterans in Vermont and New Hampshire with financial assistance. They are especially interested in helping veterans who are homeless or facing homelessness.

Friends of Veterans     (802) 296-8368

American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and Vietnam Veterans of America

Many American Legion and VFW posts have an emergency assistance fund for veterans and their families. We recommend veterans get in touch with their local post. In addition, the American Legion service officer in White River Junction operates a financial assistance program, as does the Vietnam Veterans of America.

                                                                                                      American Legion                               (802) 296-5166

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)         (802) 296 5166

Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA)     (802) 447-0407

Disabled American Veterans (DAV) (802) 296 5167

Military Order of the Purple Heart  (802) 868 4488

Local Churches

Many churches also have emergency assistance funds and can be approached to assist with a financial crisis.