Skip to main content

Government Employment Options

Many veterans decide to continue working in the government sector. Below is information on how to apply for state and federal employment.

State of Vermont Civil Service

Search and apply for state jobs entirely online at Department of Human Resources Career Center. Veterans have increased access to state hiring, as they can apply for positions that are normally only eligible for current state employees. Contact their Human Resources Department at (855) 828-6700 (option 1, option 4) or visit their website for more information.

U.S. Government Civil Service

Search and apply for federal jobs entirely online at the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM), USAJOBS Website. Vermont has numerous opportunities to serve with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Homeland Security. Veterans have strong hiring preferences for federal positions.

State of Vermont State Police

The Vermont State Police is the largest police agency in the state. Contact their recruiting office for more information at (802) 483-2606.

Vermont National Guard

You can continue your military service in a reserve capacity in Vermont Army or Air National Guard. In addition to defending our nation, Guard members defend our state by responding to disasters such as flooding and ice storms. Guard service provides a wide assortment of benefits for veterans and their families.

Vermont State Guard

Vermonters also have the opportunity to serve in a volunteer capacity. Members of the State Guard provide back up to the National Guard during emergency responses. For more information, call (802) 338-3045.