Skip to main content

Records Maintained at the Office of Veterans Affairs

The Office of Veterans Affairs maintains nearly 200,000 discharge records from World War I to the present.  Normally, when a person who entered the military from the State of Vermont separates from the service, a copy of their DD214 is sent to our office.  In addition, when someone applies for a benefit from our office, we place their DD214 on file so that they won't need to provide it to us again in the future.

To find out if we have your record, give us a call between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.  We'll look for your record, and if we have it we'll tell you how to get a copy.  You can call us toll free from within Vermont at (888) 666-9844.  If you're calling from outside Vermont, call us at (802) 828-3379.   Application

If your schedule doesn't permit you to give us a call, just submit a written request to our office via mail or fax.  In your request, include:

  • Your full name (including full middle name)
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your Date of Birth
  • The approximate dates of your service
  • The address you would like us to mail your discharge to
  • A simple statements saying... "Please send me my DD214"

You can send your written request to:

  • Fax: (802) 828-5932
  • Mail:
    • Office of Veterans Affairs
    • 118 State Street
    • Montpelier, Vermont 05620-4401

Additional Records at the National Archives

If we don't have your discharge record, you can request it from the National Archives.  They can also assist you if you would like additional military documents, as the Office of Veterans Affairs will only have the discharge.  Medical records, medal citations, performance evaluations, etc. are maintained at the National Archives.